Friday, 21 May 2010

Energy - how can you get more of it!!!!

Okay, so my last post was about coffee and why to get off it and stay away from it! This post is about energy and you can have it all day without feeling tired ever again! seriously.

It's all about the food you eat. I promise. Never in my life have I had so much energy now that I've switched from being pretty much vegetarian to a vegan. If you are a vegetarian, you can still eat dairy. In my view, dairy slows you down - the cheese, the yogurts, ice creams and milk. I've also noticed that the cookies that I've been making for the kids (which are vegan) they aren't as grumpy and actually are likable! So here are 2 recipes that are quick and easy.

Here's what I made up for lunch. Yes, I literally looked in my fridge and made this up based on what I had and it was yummy.

Serves 2:

Can of Mixed Beans - drained and rinsed
1/4 aubergine - 1 cm dice
1 green pepper - sliced into thin strips
4 vine tomatoes - quartered
4 spring onions - sliced
1/2 bag of watercress
1/2 bag of baby spinach
1/2 lemon
1 tblsp of omega3 or hemp oil
tsp of cumin seeds
1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
3 tblsp. of cooking oil

Heat oil in pan and throw in aubergine, green pepper and cumin seeds - saute over medium heat and when the veggies are getting soft throw in the cayenne pepper. Once soft and slight brown on edges, turn heat off and throw in tomatoes and spring onions and cover with foil (not a lid)

Next, throw in spinach and watercress, juice of 1/2 lemon and omega-3/hemp oil all into magimix and whizz until it is practically a puree

Put beans in nice looking bowl and mix with the veggie mix and top with your greens puree. Promise, it is good.

Good snacks which give good energy to kids can be found in this recipe... and ALL FOUR of my kids loved them, so they must be decent. PS I made this yesterday starting at 4:30 and was finished by 5.... that's how quick it is.

1/2 cup of agave syrup
1/2 cup of rice syrup
2/3 cup of creamy or chunky peanut butter (try to get all natural from whole foods or waitrose)
1/2 cup corn oil
2 tblsp. nondairy milk ( rice, soya, oat....)
1 tblsp. ground flax seeds (whole foods carries this)
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1 1/2 cups plain flour (if using gluten free flour add 3 tblsp to this)
3/4 cup wholewheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat over to 325 F or 175 C. Line baking sheets with parchment paper
in large bowl mix together all the ingredients above (in order as I listed them) stopping with the almond extract (yes, do add the almond extract and then stop). Sift in both flours, baking soda and salt and mix to a soft dough.
Drop large, generous tablespoons of dough 2 inches apart onto baking sheets. Flatten the cookies to about 1 inch. Bake cookies for 12 - 14 minutes until the edges are golden. cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool completely and store in tightly covered container.

And that's that!

No comments:

Post a Comment